Sunday, November 18, 2012

Walmart and Other Retailers...Why?

Happy Post-Election 2012 everyone, we survived the onslaught of ads.

I hope everyone is having a good Sunday before Thanksgiving. I really should be doing homework right now, but...I say no, I think my professors want to cause me extreme mental stress, or they wish to waste my time. I damn well deserve to procrastinate.

So, if we couldn't tell, I'm pretty ready for Thanksgiving break, and seeing my family and what not. However, for as much as I like the holiday season, I also hate it with a passion. Why do I have such a relationship?

Those bastards at the major retailers. I went to a mall last week (I believe it was November 10), and the mall was completely set up for Christmas.Walmart was even earlier, they had their Christmas supplies out before Halloween.

By starting the holiday season back in October, I feel like the holidays are starting to lose their special feel, like what I remember as a kid. I know things do change as we get older, but Christmas definitely did not start right after Halloween. It's ridiculous, and I am incredibly grateful for Nordstrom and their one holiday at a time policy.

Along the same lines, I think it's awful that the retailers are going to be open earlier on Thanksgiving night. Not only does the zoo start early, but their workers deserve a day with their families. Those retailers are depriving them of a holiday with their families. Some of those families don't see each other outside of Thanksgiving, and the companies' greed to get their money even earlier deprives their workers of a holiday that means something.

It's sadly part of our culture that working until we die seems more important than family, and employers use that to their advantage. Let's face it, Americans are working harder, and not making enough money. So, they work harder to survive,  and are in many cases quite unhappy with the situation. However, the workers do it so they don't risk having problems at work, or risk being first on the chopping block when the job cuts come.

It's gotten out of hand. People deserve that time, and with so many people still going to go to the Black Friday sales, I think the retailers can give their employees a day. Besides, those employees have a month of hell ahead of them. Shame on those retailers.

Perhaps my view is biased, as I did miss Thanksgiving with my family last year, due to working at The Mount Washington. While the Resort did give us Thanksgiving dinner, it wasn't the same.

This year, I'm spending time with my family, and I'm going to make my presents this year, since I'm a poor college student.This may be my last major holiday with my family, since I plan on going to Argentina after I graduate. So, I'm enjoying this one.

And if anyone tries to take time away from my family...I will find you...






No comments:

Post a Comment